Monday, July 02, 2018

Camera talk

I have two DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) cameras. The older one is a Canon T3i from 2012. I didn't understand it at the time, but it's what's called a "cropped sensor" camera, meaning that the sensor that captures the images is smaller than a standard 35mm piece of film. The new camera, a Canon 6D from 2016, is a "full frame" camera, meaning that its sensor supposedly measures a full 35mm.

Here's a mid-distance shot, focal length 36mm. It's our house taken from the neighbor's property across the road.

I like the new camera a lot. Two of the three lenses I used on the old camera work on the new one. The one that doesn't is a 18-55mm zoom, the one lens I used the most on the old camera. I also got two new lenses for the 6D, a 25mm fixed and a 50mm fixed. They're less versatile, but they are higher quality lenses and I really like the images they take. Still, I miss the zoom lens for its ease of use.

A close-up of one of our artichokes, focal length 46mm.

I decided to try it out again, as part of the process of deciding whether to get a replacement that will work with the new camera. So I attached the zoom lens to the old camera and took a bunch of photos on my Sunday morning walk with Tasha. The lens is a "kit" lens, meaning that it's a lower-end lens that came with the camera body. My experiment is to see if I still enjoy having the zoom ability vs. having to change lenses and/or practice "sneaker zooming," the art of walking closer to or farther from the subject.

A long distance shot out in the vineyard, taken at a wider focal length of 21mm.

If I decide to get a new lens, I'll check out used ones first. They're much more economical than new lenses. Either Amazon or Ebay will likely have some available. At least I hope they might. For the time being, here are some shots with the "old" camera and the "old" zoom lens.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not the photographic craftsman you are. It's always so wonderful to see the artistry and technical quality of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an old Canon Rebel... is a XTi i had a Canon 40d .. its Middle Age... you mentioned a Canon 6d.... ... i have been toying with buying a Full Frame... Your photos are always amazing.... .. are they all taken with the Canon 6d????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canon also sells refurbished lenses at a good price. Love seeing your photographs. I think the skill of the photographer is the most important factor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, I'm glad you enjoy them. :)

    tommy, most of my posted photos since spring 2016 were made with the 6D, yes.

    wilma, thanks! I'll look into the Canon refurbished lenses when I start shopping.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!