Friday, July 20, 2018

Gad-zukes!

The zucchini plants are in full swing right now. I've picked about two a day this week; this morning I picked five more. Yikes! We were able to give four away yesterday to neighbors. I've been grilling them, I've made a tabbouleh-style salad with some, we've baked some into a lasagna, made some ratatouille, stir-fries with zukes, and even made a zucchini pie. We'll likely make stuffed zucchini and zucchini fritters soon. I've blanched and frozen several of them to eat later in the year.

There's plenty of Swiss chard in the garden, and the tomatoes are getting bigger. I picked a bunch of green beans yesterday.

I guess that three plants are too many, even though there were three plants last year (plus a fourth if you count the lemon squash). Come to think of it, there is still some grated zucchini in the freezer from last year (zucchini bread!).

3 comments:

  1. Lucky you. Every time I tried zucchini I only had male flowers. No females, no fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! My cousin (with the black thumb) was just saying she has two cherry tomatoes. Not two cherry tomato PLANTS, two TOMATOES on her plant! My niece and nephew have a great recipe for those zucchini flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have too many zucchini you can always have beignets de fleurs de courge it wil reduce the production.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!