Monday, March 24, 2008

Stir-Fried Easter Bunny

As is our tradition, Ken and I ate rabbit on Easter Sunday. This year, like I mentioned, we tried out a Thai stir-fry that we saw on TV. The recipe is for rabbit, but I'll bet it would be great with chicken or good lean pork, too.

Some of the pieces of rabbit.
I'll spare you the shot of the head...


We had a whole rabbit. Ken cut it up into bite-sized morsels and put the carcass and head into a pot to make broth (for another dish later). Instead of a whole rabbit, you could use four legs as long as all four are hind legs; there's not much meat on the front legs.

Julienned flat green beans and carrots.

The rabbit pieces get marinated for a couple hours in:

40 cl coconut milk
5 cl vegetable oil
a pinch of ground cayenne (more to taste)
1 tsp. curry powder (or your own curry blend)
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 finger of fresh ginger, chopped
1 tblsp. raw sugar
the juice and grated zest of 1 lime
a pinch of grated allspice (optional)
star anise (optional)
salt to taste

Of course, you can adjust the spices to your own liking. I added a fresh chopped cayenne pepper for heat. After marinating, drain the rabbit pieces and reserve the marinade.

Onions, marinated rabbit, beans, and carrots in the wok.

In a hot pan or wok, sauté one onion that has been cut into slices. Add the rabbit and stir-fry until golden brown. Add one or two carrots and about 200 g of flat green beans, both julienned, and stir-fry until they begin to get tender.

The marinade goes in to make a sauce.

Add the marinade to the pan and simmer until it's cooked and the sauce has reduced slightly. Serve sprinkled with fresh cilantro. We made rice noodles to have on the side.

Served with noodles and fresh cilantro.

It was delicious. We followed it with a dessert of sweet Thai sticky rice with mango and toasted sesame seeds.

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous photos -- rabbit is a good idea for Easter lunch, although strangely I don't think it's traditional in France for that occasion.

    My girls won't eat it anymore, though, since we got one as a pet -- I guess I understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a delicious Thai dish. I'm glad you shared the recipe because I would have asked for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your marinade will be perfect for chicken, I'm sure. It looks so easy. Thank you.

    I thought you were kidding me about eating cactus! I went to Google. I had the time of my life learning about Cactus Pads and Prickley Pears. Lots of recipes. Even a video on how to peel it...My next week-end menu: Thai Chicken and Nopales Salad. More exotic than my usual fare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. betty, thanks! The only thing I have about eating cute animals is that I don't want to have to kill it myself. Otherwise, I'm ok.

    loulou, let me know if you make it.

    claudia, I expect a full meal report!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! Might have to go hunt me a wabbit.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL at the title! Looks delicious. If I weren't scared of cooking rabbit, I'd even try...

    ReplyDelete
  7. duchess, absolutely!

    reb, why be scared? Go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!