Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tarte aux fraises

This is the fourth strawberry pie I've made so far this season. The first was a strawberry and rhubarb pie where I cooked the strawberries in with the rhubarb. The second was fresh strawberries topping a cooked almond custard. The third was another strawberry and rhubarb pie, but with fresh strawberries topping the cooked rhubarb filling.

Une barquette de fraises, about 500 grams worth.

Yesterday I got another barquette of strawberries from our favorite strawberry and asparagus vendor at the market in Saint-Aignan. Ken suggested I do a strawberry pie the classic way, with fresh strawberries on top of pastry cream. So that's what I did. A pastry cream is eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla cooked on top of the stove very slowly until it thickens. Then, once it's cool, it goes into a pre-baked pie shell.

The tarte is glazed and ready to eat!

I washed the strawberries then halved them and arranged them on top of the pastry cream. They're finished off with a glaze of Ken's home-made quince jelly. The local strawberries this year are incredibly good! It's worth a trip to the market on Saturdays just for them alone.

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to have one delivered to me for La Fête des Mères!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pastry cream idea! Which was your favorite pie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you guys ever need money, you could open your own boulangerie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. judy, and tasty, too! (I think I just channeled Lucille Ball doing the Vitameatavegamin commercial.)

    betty, get your order in for next year! ;)

    evelyn, I honestly can't say. They were each very good.

    starman, but that would mean getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning to bake!

    nadege, merci!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!