Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Word Of The Week

déjanter

While watching a talk show last week, I saw one of the chroniqueuses doing her segment on new movies coming out. One movie was something called "Little Miss Sunshine." She liked the movie a lot and gave it an enthusiastic review saying that le film va vous déjanter. Hmmmm, sounds like a word of the week to me!

Now I know that a jante is the wheel of a car; not the tire, just the wheel. So, déjanter is the verb for the tire coming off the rim; it's de-wheeled, if you will. But the context of the reviewer's sentence was not about tires flying off of wheels. So, if you can imagine that moment when a tire does fly off a wheel, well, that's got be a little surprising to say the least. It might send the car off course, wildly rocking out of control, whoa!

And this movie, according to our reviewer, will have a similar effect on you. It'll knock you off your rim, but in a good way!

In other news: I had my 3,000th visitor (since I started counting) yesterday. I believe that Numéro trois-mille is located in the Toulouse region. Merci Toulouse !

2 comments:

  1. "Little Miss Sunshine" is the best film I've seen in a long time. It's got quirky characters, great acting (Alan Arkin, Greg Kinnear, Toni Collette, Steve Carell), and bizarre circumstances that somehow are all believable. I don't know whether it'll knock you off your rim, but the scenes when they're pushing to bump start the VW van are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,
    I had never heard of it until this show the other night. American movies don't usually open in France until months after they've played in the US.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!