Friday, August 14, 2015

Tomatoes are starting

I've picked a bowlful of little tomatoes from the garden this week. The big tomatoes are mostly still green, but these little guys are turning shades of yellow, orange, and red. They were billed as "rainbow tomatoes" which I'm finding out means that some plants have red fruit, some have yellow, and others have orange. I've got four of these plants.

Yellow (or are they orange?) rainbow tomatoes on the vine.

I'm going to use these tomatoes to make a tabbouleh salad using cucumbers (from the garden) and either bulgur wheat or couscous (pasta). Not sure which yet. Also, mint from the garden will go in. I've already made several salads with zucchini in the past couple of weeks, so going back to the tabbouleh will be a nice change.

7 comments:

  1. I love the shape of these. Sort of like a roma tomato? Weren't the rainbow ones supposed to be three colours in one tomato? The joys of gardening... you never quite know what you're going to get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see that your tomatoes are just turning -- ours are a big bust this year. I don't get what happened. They're just not growing much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those would be perfect for smoking! I'll be making tabbouleh later today; it's hot and steamy today so tabbouleh sounds just about perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my place we have also them

    ReplyDelete
  5. As we used to say in TN, "them's good lookin' 'maters". We like to mix cooked haricots verts still hot with fresh cold tomatoes and cucumbers. I think it's a southern thing. Ask Ken if he's familiar with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the name of these tomatoes, Rainbow.!! Very colourful for a luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. homegrown tomatoes remain one of life's greatest pleasures. If I were to have a 'last meal', it would include homegrown toms.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!