Monday, October 28, 2013

A little color among the vines

The vineyards are shedding their green for the yellows, golds, and reds of fall. Then, sometime in the next couple of weeks, everything will go brown and the leaves will start dropping. The vineyard will take on a ghostly aspect, a spider's web of bare canes and tendrils.

We have to enjoy sights like this while they last.

Pruning will start in late fall or early winter, a job that I do not envy. The pruning is done entirely by hand, vine by vine. It will last well into late winter. Whatever the weather, cold, raining, windy, or snowy, the pruners will be out there clipping and burning. Only the harshest storm will keep them away.

5 comments:

  1. Pruning the vines seems like really hard work, made even worse if the weather is foul.
    I wonder how many people ever think about the effort that goes into making a bottle of wine, and if they appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pruning but it sounds to me like pruning vineyards would get old!

    And despite the ghostly aspect, your photos will show the vineyards in the all their beauty through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to watch as your web page loads- yes, yes, it only takes a moment, but it's cool to watch something like this great splotch of colors, be revealed. Very nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful early fall colors, thanks Walt. I would not want to be a grape vine pruner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jean, I agree with you. And now that I've seen the cycle ten times over, I have a feeling for the work that goes on. I don't think I could do it! But I can drink the result. :)

    mitch, you have such confidence...

    judy, cool!

    bettyann, hi! I agree with you, neither would I.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!