Monday, April 04, 2016

A wine run

On Sunday, I went over to the village of Angé, two towns down river from us, to the annual open house of a local winery called Clos Roussely. Every year, the owner, Vincent Roussely, hosts a group of winemakers from around the country. I especially like the producer from Chablis, whose winery we visited in 2014. So I went to get some of his wine. I also bought some red Burgundy from a producer in the Hautes-Côtes de Beaune. The Chablis is made from chardonnay grapes, the red Burgundy is made from pinot noir.

At the Clos Roussely winery on Sunday morning.

Both of those wines are different from what we get here in our Touraine region. That's why I like what Vincent Roussely does: bringing in vintners from other regions once a year. He also goes to their regions to share local Touraine wines with people who might otherwise not have access to them. It's a cool thing, kind of a wine exchange program. This is my third year going, and I hope it continues.

I got there when they opened at 10 am. I think I was the first customer. I didn't see any others. The producers were all standing around in the building chatting with each other. I felt conspicuous. I tasted a few wines, but I noticed that one of the producers was also sipping, so I wasn't alone. Then I bought my bottles and made my way home. As you can see in the photo, Sunday was a beautiful day. The people that were planning to have lunch at the winery (they have a nice picnic area and serve lunch during this open house weekend) got lucky.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you don't read this blog, but because today's column is about Loire Valley wines, I thought you'd find it interesting. http://ouiinfrance.com/2016/04/03/cathy-le-tasting-room-back-answer-loire-valley-wine-questions/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool idea.
    And, that is a great-looking building. I've got a soft spot for those buildings made of stone. Is that limestone of the region, or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to share a bottle with you and ken!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!