Sunday, January 14, 2018

Cierges

Another old photo from inside the cathedral at Rouen in Normandy. Candles that are used in religious settings are called cierges in French. I guess that distinguishes them from the standard bougies that people use in their homes. And on birthday cakes. Tea lights are called bougies chauffe plat (platter warmers). Candles used to be called chandelles, but bougie seems to have taken over as the more popular term.

Cierges in Rouen. There's a coin box nearby where worshipers can leave an offering before lighting a candle. Color slide, 1992.

I'm up early this morning. Tasha got up with Ken, went outside (to pee), then ate her breakfast. She then came up to the loft and insisted I get up to take her outside (to poop). She usually waits for me to wake up, but this morning I guess she just needed to go. We are in this pattern now where she waits for me to take her out for morning "poopies." Ken thinks I must scare the shit out of her. I'm looking forward to summer when Ken can just leave the door open in the morning and she can go out on her own.

4 comments:

  1. I love this photo. I want to put on my my my my my BOUGIE shoes. Just to boogie with you, yeah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your Tasha tales. She has mastered you both lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaa haaaa Mitchell! and Evelyn!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely and peaceful. I hope many take advantage of this and show up to Mass often?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!