Friday, January 19, 2007

Loire Valley Sights

I'm continuing to digitize color slides from the 2000 Loire Valley trip. Here are a few random shots.

The first (below) is a small flock of sheep that were kept on an impeccably immaculate grazing patch near the Château de Chenonceaux. I don't know if they belong to the château and are there to add some country charm, albeit genteel, to the place, or what. But I think, if memory serves, they were quite near to the parking lot.


I found This door and window (below) in the courtyard of out-buildings at the Château de Fougères-sur-Bièvre, an 11th century seigniorie near Blois. The current buildings date from the 15th century.


Finally, the stained glass crest inset into the window below can be found inside the Château de Chaumont, which overlooks the Loire river between Blois and Amboise. The castle is famed for having been given to Diane de Poitiers by her rival, Catherine de Médicis (I describe the story briefly here) after the latter kicked the former out of Chenonceaux.


As I said, these are just random images. If you want to see more photos of these places, you can click on the "châteaux" or "loire valley" labels in the sidebar to see all my previous posts from those categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!