Monday, February 23, 2009

Amandine Aux Pêches

On Friday I thought I would make a pie. So, easily enough, I made a pie crust. My standard pâte brisée. I used the long tarte pan that I got in Paris last year.

Amandine aux pêches.

Ken found a recipe for amandine, a kind of pie made with an almond custard and pears. It's what I did not long ago, but I sliced the pears instead of using halves. Since we had a can of peaches in the pantry, I thought I could do the tarte correctly this time using peach halves.

The long view.

And it worked wonderfully. So I'll be encouraged to do this again, whether or not I have fresh fruit. While fresh is always tastier, canned fruit can work wonderfully. It's just a different taste, but good nonetheless.

By the way, happy Washington's birthday! Ooops, that was Sunday.

11 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I'm coming RIGHT OVER NOW!!! It will be perfect for breakfast!! Get the coffee ready!!! YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How yummy !! :-)...looks very very tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Callie getting some for an after-birthday treat? Looks inCREDible :))

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. No fair making food like that when I'm not there. You know amandine is my favorite. Get ready to make me one for my birthday.

    I'm not taking pictures or thinking in terms of blogging at all. Maybe I'll be motivated later this week, when I start driving around in scenic areas a little. Going "down east" tomorrow with my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a beautiful food shot....I'll bet I could use some of that -- warm with cream, please. And, by the way, why does it always seem funny to me to be reading my blogs in the AM and see that your weather/time clock says 5pm! Makesme feel like I've wasted a whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad my birthday falls when I'm in California. May be we can celebrate my mid-year next June when, hopefully, I'll be visiting with you!. It's my favorite, as you know. To think of it, any of your marvelous pastries is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of these days I'll learn not to read your blog (and Ken's) on an empty stomach. It's not pretty, salivating all over the keyboard.

    That peach tarte is stunning!

    ...Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, Walt, but I think this is a bit cruel since you knew Ken would see this post and not be able to share the tart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness you two must eat so well, having divine looking foodstuffs like this.
    Perhaps Yanks here would not be nasty if they relied more on good food and cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. leesa, better hurry, it's going fast!

    anne, yes, very!

    judy, no, callie doesn't get any of this, it's all for ME.

    ken, duly noted.

    lewis, and I have just the opposite sensation when I read stateside blogs.

    chm, get your taste buds ready.

    susan, thanks!

    tom, I know. I'm going to have to make another one next week. Poor me!

    ur-spo, one of my favorite quotes: "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" (J.R.R. Tolkien).

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!