Saturday, June 30, 2012

If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air

We only spent a few hours in Provincetown, a fishing-village-turned-resort town on the tip of Cape Cod. It was Friday night, but it was also the week before Memorial Day, so while there were people out and about, the town was far from crowded. I know how crowded it can get; I've seen pictures.

A large pier in Cape Cod Bay at Provincetown. You can see the cape curling southward on the horizon.

We found a place to park the car about two blocks from Commercial Street and set out on foot. With our limited time we just walked up and down the street looking at all the shops and thinking about where to have dinner. At nearly every intersection there is a view toward the bay and at a couple points we went down to the beach for a closer look.

A pier that's seen better days, but still lovely.

The shops, galleries, and restaurants along Commercial Street are colorful and inviting. The weather was perfect and, as I said, there were people strolling everywhere but I never felt crowded, so taking pictures was fun and not frustrating. The sun started to set and Ken and I were getting hungry.

We felt welcome and right at home in Provincetown.

5 comments:

  1. Count me among those who are fond of the sand dunes and salty air :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. New England coastline is great-- we're definitely fans of dunes and sea air [and lobster].

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, all your photos are great, but the one of the dilapidated pier is a prize winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a beautiful place. And every time I've ever driven there, that song has played in my head (and has usually been sung out loud).

    ReplyDelete
  5. judy, will do! Are you going east this summer?

    n&a, I like lobster, too!

    starman, ooooh, what's the prize? ;)

    mitch, I can't get that song out of my head. That's why it's in the post titles!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!