Thursday, October 30, 2014

Irancy

Not far from Chablis in Burgundy is the small town of Irancy, home to about three hundred people. Apparently the place has lost about two-thirds of its population since the nineteenth century. Irancy is known for its red wine, made primarily with pinot noir (as most red burgundies are). They also grow another grape for blending called césar, a grape that, as its name implies, was brought to the region by the conquering Romans oh so long ago.

Looking down into Irancy. You can see the town and its impressive church in the center-right.

Irancy is a pretty town; it sits in the bottom of a kind of natural amphitheater, the sides of which are planted in vineyards. It's a very impressive sight and I'll be posting a few views over the next days. For now, here's the sign that greets visitors just as they begin their descent through the vines and into town.

8 comments:

  1. Did you noyice the S in bourgognes. I've never seen that before. My guess is it means Bourgogne's wines. Any other explanation? Maybe, they just can't spell! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Si ça veut dire les vins, ce sont des bourgognes comme dans le Bordelais ce sont des bordeauxs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oui, c'est ce que je pensais, mais ce n'est pas clair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oups, pas d's à bordeaux! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered about the S on Bourgognes, too -- I figured it was somehow referring to the vineyards or the wines or the grapes.
    Now... what's all this about les bordeaux coming from le Bordelais? I didn't know that! Actually, I think that I have only connected bordelais with the sauce of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a town of only 300 people. And I'd love to try their César salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. chm, it's the marketing logo of the BIVB (Bureau Interprofessionel des Vins de Bourgognes). Here's a link.

    judy, the Bordelais is the Bordeaux region.

    mitch, lol!

    gosia, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!