Tuesday, February 12, 2019

As French as apple pie

Nothing says France like a tarte aux pommes, except maybe a baguette or a croissant. Or a crème brulée. But I digress. The good old apple tart is comfort food, a staple of French desserts. They've certainly been a staple in our house. And they're relatively easy to make.

The layer of rhubarb under the apples gives the tart a nice kick.

I had some apples, some of my own pâte brisée (pie crust) in the freezer, and some leftover rhubarb compote in the fridge, so on Monday I made a tart. Since the pie crust was already made, all I had to do was to thaw it and roll it out. After blind-baking it, I spread a layer of compote inside. Then I cored, peeled, and sliced the apples and arranged them on top. After about thirty minutes of baking, I glazed the tart with some strained apricot jam. Voilà !

7 comments:

  1. Another work of art! And you make it sound so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mitch, keep a slice of bread handy for that.

    judy, :)

    anne marie, madame est servie !

    evelyn, it was pretty good, if I do say so myself!

    michael, :)

    kiwi, it's not really difficult at all. Of course, I've been making them for more than 20 years...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!