Monday, February 25, 2019

Water hole

At various places around the vineyards out back there are these depressions in the ground. They're obviously man-made and much of the year they're empty pits. But after some good rain, they fill up and hold water for a while. Some drain quickly and others stay filled a lot longer. I'm not at all sure why they're there. Perhaps it's a way to allow water to seep back into the water table for the grape vines. A lot of the rain we get drains away to the river before it can penetrate the dense clay vineyard soil. Maybe it's for the wildlife. I don't know.

One of the water holes along the paths that we walk.

I finally got outside yesterday afternoon to pick up winter's fallen branches and sticks. I filled the wheelbarrow up twice and now have a good pile of kindling for the rest of the season's fires. If any. Tasha helped me a lot by grabbing sticks as I reached for them and running away. It was obviously a game for her. She enjoys being outside and playing in the nice weather. Come to think of it, so do I.

4 comments:

  1. Tasha's help must have been invaluable, not, but what fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha knows that Spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. andrew, a dog's gotta play... :)

    judy, she loves running with sticks.

    evelyn, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!