Thursday, July 16, 2009

And A Green Berry

I really have no idea what this is. I don't recall what the flowers looked like that preceded these berries. The fruit is a little less than a centimeter in diameter.

Green berries.

These don't seem to be as abundant as other things out around the vines. It doesn't look like anything that I've seen people eat, so I'm thinking that the birds and deer get them. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

They may turn red later in the season, or not. I know they're not groseilles because they're too big, not to mention that the groseille season is pretty much over now. So the mystery remains, unless one of you recognizes them.

7 comments:

  1. It could be gooseberries (groseilles à maquereaux), but I'm not so sure, since gooseberries are somewhat translucent and hairy. The size, however, would fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the gooseberries. Ours at home are more stripey with hairs on but maybe there is a smooth skinned variety. The bottom end where the flower was also looks very gooseberry-like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's difficult IDing without having a sense of the complete plant. The best I can come up with is Buckthorn / Rhamnus cathartica / Nerprun purgatif.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sloes - in which case they will turn almost black? (Blackthorn)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All interesting... Sorry I didn't get a photo of the whole plant.

    I'll keep and eye on them and see if they turn another color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe White Bryony / Bryonia dioca or B. alba / La Bryone dioïque.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!