Saturday, October 30, 2010

And feather canyons everywhere

Last Wednesday I took some photos of the sunrise (posted on Thursday). But I also turned around and took a few images of the clouds to the west. They were making all kinds of interesting shapes and the changing light made them very pretty.

The whispiness makes me want to call them cirrus. Click on the picture to ennebulate*.

I think these would be classified as a kind of cirrus cloud, but I'm not sure. There are so many variations on the basic cloud types and they can be difficult to differentiate. And I'm not a meteorologist so I've never studied them in any detail.

No matter. They're still fun to look at.

*With apologies to Phil Plait at Bad Astronomy. He frequently makes up a word that relates to the image that he uses in place of the old and boring "enlarge."

3 comments:

  1. Works for me! I make up words all the time. If I didn't, my blog would be only pictures.
    Your Friend, m.
    p.s. I love that Big Sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ennebulate! Thanks! I'm adding it to my repertoire for today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mark, I'm always impressed by the feeling of "big sky" here, too.

    mary, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!