Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lands' End comes to France

I've been a Lands' End shopper for a long time. I don't buy much these days, but I do once in a while. I have my orders shipped to friends or family when I'm planning a trip to the US and pick them up there. I also shop sporadically at L.L. Bean, and they've been sending the American catalogs to me regularly in France since I moved.

A portion of Lands' End France homepage.

But this showed up in my mailbox this week. It's a Lands' End catalog in French, announcing that they've set up shop in France. Now I can get the French catalog and be able to shop online and get my deliveries at home instead of in the US. Here's the web site if you want to take a look.

A sample of what's in the catalog.

Interestingly, however, I noticed that the prices seem rather high, especially given today's exchange rate, and not so out of line with normal brand name clothing sold in France (which can be quite pricey). So, I probably won't be doing all that much Lands' End shopping in France after all. I wonder if they'll find a healthy market for their products here.

As I like to say, it's a global world.

Both of these images are screen captures from the Lands' End France web site.

9 comments:

  1. my daughter was just saying that she wishes j crew would come to france....maybe this is a start

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wardrobe contains its fair share of Landsend too, but I'm quite price sensitive when it comes to buying clothes, so I don't suppose I will be buying much from them here either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a Lands' End fan for decades. Here in the states they now sell their clothes, shoes etc at Sears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the web address Walt... Pauline and I are Lands End shoppers!
    Good cloths at a reasonable price... last for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's getting colder at night lately. Une chemise flanelle will soon be a welcome thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. melinda, I have a hard time with the cut of some French clothes (specifically jeans), which is why I still shop for them in the US when I can. And the generally higher prices here are a big factor as well.

    susan, me too.

    rick, yes! And there are L.L. Bean stores (at least there's one in Albany).

    tim, great!

    emm, I've already started wearing mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love L.L. Bean clothes here in the States but I don't think I would go for them in France. I like to "fit in". You know, "while in Rome"? Or in this case, France.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Considering the number of people I see walking around Paris i these freezing temperatures wearing only jeans and T-shirts, I don't think J. Crews will be selling much here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mark, I think anything goes, especially in the city. But I know what you mean.

    starman, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!