Sunday, October 03, 2010

Pissaladière

The classic pissaladière (onion tart) is a provençal dish made with onions, olives, and anchovies. I left out the anchovies for my version. Not because I don't like them, but because other people may not. I prepared these two tartes to share on Saturday and I wasn't sure if our guests would appreciate anchovies.

Two pissaladières cooling on wire racks.

I made my standard pâte brisée (pie crust) and blind baked it in two tarte pans. While I was doing that, Ken cut up one kilogram (about two pounds) of onions which we then put on low heat to cook, covered, with some olive oil, about a half cup of white wine, and a couple of bay leaves. After about an hour the onions were soft and succulent. I added salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg, removed the lid, and turned the heat up a bit to evaporate the excess liquid.

I spread the cooked onions in the tarte shells, pushed black olives into them, and baked them for about twenty minutes in a hot oven. We ate them cooled along side some other finger foods. Very tasty!

8 comments:

  1. This is one of my ALL time favorite French dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks delish!

    I was wondering if you and Ken did these things too while you still lived in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that looks wonderful and sounds easy. Must give it a try. I would definitely use the anchovies.

    I envy you your warm day. The weather here today is horrendous. Grey, wet and windy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this dish and I really love onions. I think I'll have to try it. But I wonder if I would like it with anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walt

    Do you use sweet onions or yellow onions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again your posting is leaving my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. loulou, mine, too. And I don't make it often enough!

    peter, absolutely. We both love to eat.

    jean, we're getting the wet stuff today, but it's still nicely warm.

    kristi, it's easy to leave them out!

    judy, but of course!

    beaver, sweet yellow onions.

    bosguy, then I have achieved my goal! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!