Saturday, June 04, 2011

Sprouts

This is one of the lima beans that's currently sprouting in the vegetable garden. I planted two rows and am hopeful that they will all come up and produce a decent little crop. The last time I tried limas was a bit less than successful. Some years are good for beans, some aren't.

A lima bean plant just sprouting. Click to leguminate.

The corn is doing well; most of the seeds came up so I'll have to thin them out as they get bigger. And it looks like all the other seedlings have transplanted well. The tomatoes, eggplant, and squash plants are putting out new leaves that look healthy and green. There are even some blossoms on the squash and the bell peppers.

I was doing a bit of weeding in the tomato plot on Thursday and I accidentally cut one of the tomatoes off at the ground. Oops. Luckily there are still four more seedlings that haven't gone into the garden, so I was able to replace the severed 'mater right away. No harm done to the crop. It's good to have some back-up. Of course, with forty-seven tomato seedlings, it's hard not to have some back up.

7 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried starting
    beans in little peat pots,then
    one can transplant a quite
    advanced seedling when soil
    conditions are ideal. Limas
    need a long hot summer, no?
    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to watching the garden's progress in your amazing pictures. Just watch out for that over-zealous weeding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that your veggies are "putting out" for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lima beans; that takes me back! Can't remember when i last ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sheila, I haven't tried that with beans, but I do it regularly with toms, eggplant, squash, peppers, etc.

    mitch, me too. And fret not, there will be more pictures.

    starman, yes, and later they'll put out even more!

    n&a, I love them, but as you know we don't get them here. Gotta grow 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember in elementary school planting beans in milk cartons. we would all watch for them to germinate, just like this one. I was enthralled by the sheer magic of a seed turning into a plant.
    I suppose that is when I first became interested in gardening and plants/botany.

    ReplyDelete
  7. michael, yes! I remember doing the same thing with those milk cartons. I wonder if kids are still sprouting beans in milk cartons today?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!