Monday, May 25, 2015

Another one bites the dust

I found this poor little mole belly-up in one of the paved roads where Callie and I sometimes walk. It obviously was not squished by a car. I wonder if an owl or some other critter caught it, then dropped it, and why. It was not close enough to our house to be one of our back yard moles. They're really interesting looking animals, although they do wreak havoc in the lawn.

Those huge front paws are for digging.

Since today is a holiday, we get no mail and we can't use power tools (noise). Well, we are allowed to make noise between ten and noon. If it's not raining, I may run the mower along the strip outside our north fence to keep the weeds down. I noticed last evening that it needs to be done again. That takes about five minutes and it shouldn't bother anyone.

7 comments:

  1. I've not seen a French mole before...
    all the ones I've seen in the UK have been black, very black....
    now I know why the French have a colour the same name as a mole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say a cat (probably) or (maybe) dog is responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing cat also. The moles of my memory have nice gray fur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate them, last year they destroyed my garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen dead snakes that appear to have been dropped by a bird of prey; they have talon marks but no other damage. In contrast, the small animals--rodents--caught and left behind by our neighborhood cats have been partly eaten. (Yeah, Ewwww.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting looking animal...never seen one in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. poor thing; it looks quite dead indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!