Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Mini drought

We're not having a drought, but right now it feels as if we could. It hasn't rained (much) in a month. My rain barrels are empty and the surface of the ground is very dry. I have to get used to watering the outdoor plants again so they don't shrivel. We're expecting summery hot temperatures over the next few days. Saints preserve us!

Like a desert in springtime.

The hot weather will be good for the newly planted tomatoes and will also help the eggplant and peppers along. I don't know if I'll get those into the ground before the end of the week or not. Today's photo comes from out in the vineyard. I like the contrast between the dried and cracked mud and the dew drops on the blades of grass. When I took the picture, there were a few ants crawling around on the mud, but none of them ended up in the shot.

6 comments:

  1. Blimey, that is dry. We'll send you some rain water via La Poste... no charge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walt,
    We have had a mini drought here for a few weeks that finally broke yesterday. Two days of nice, steady, gentle rain. Oh those fields of corn and soybean will take off now. I love the growing season!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, nature is cool that way.

    craig, wow. People actually say "blimey."

    ron, almost as good as harvest season! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not often, but it's a good word for the right context I think. Too many words die out for no good reason.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!