Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday fifties

Not all the leaves have fallen yet. There are still plenty of hangers-on. I saw these in the woods where a path leads me and Callie down into the river valley, our normal evening walk. They're in a spot that was cleared for firewood last year. Since then, saplings and other growth have sprung up in the newly sunlit bare patch. It won't be bare for long.

Saplings in the woods. 50mm, f/7.1, 1/125s, ISO 6400.

In a burst of unplanned ambition, I got the lawnmower out yesterday afternoon and cut a portion of the yard. My intent in the sunny afternoon was to trim the strip outside the fence that runs along the north side of the property, something that takes less than five minutes. But then I thought, while I've got the mower out, I might as well cut the grass outside the hedges, too, and the strip along the road while I'm at it. Then I thought, it's silly to cut the grass outside our property and not do any inside, so I cut a section of the lawn. I didn't do it all because there are mole hills to clear in the other section first. I wasn't feeling that ambitious.

9 comments:

  1. The closest to mole hills that I know is crab mud mounds. But can't you run the mower over mole hills and the blades will just spread the earth around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. andrew, maybe, but I think the dirt would really dull the blade, not to mention that it's full of little rocks that really would damage the blade. Besides, I have a use for the dirt: filling in ruts made by vehicles in the grassy strip along the road!

      Delete
  2. I love the color contrasts in the photo. Very unusual. Good for you, doing all that work! I decided to hang a sconce in the living room today. I went to get the power drill (concrete walls) and couldn't find it. Then I remembered our friends borrowed it a month ago and still haven't returned it. That was enough work for the day. Here I sit! (OK. Not really. Laundry, kitchen prep for appliance deliveries this afternoon, cleaning... Phew, I no longer feel guilty.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful leaves, Walt! Glad to see some joy in France after just learning about the Paris situation.

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. So shocked and upset by all the news from Paris tonight. Be well and be safe.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. they almost look like elm trees. is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. michael, I think they're chestnut trees, sprouting from the trunks of those that were cut down.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!