Friday, September 27, 2019

Harvesting continues

The grape harvest is going strong. I think the growers are trying to get the grapes in before things get too wet out there. An infusion of water might change the sugar/acid ratio in the grapes (I'm just guessing here, but it seems logical). I haven't seen any more hand-harvesting, just the big mechanical harvesters.

The growers took advantage of a dry, but breezy, afternoon this week to get more red grapes harvested.

These behemoths straddle the vines, vibrating them and sucking the grapes right off their stems. There are two storage bins on either side of the machine. When they fill up, the harvester dumps the grapes into a waiting trailer. That's what's going on in this shot, taken from our guest room window. Soon it will all be over for another year.

3 comments:

  1. I love these machines designed for such specific purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy watching the seasons pass through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, pretty cool, eh?

    judy, thanks. You get good seasons, too, I'm sure. More winter than we get, though!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!