Saturday, September 07, 2019

Still hanging in there

We're both wondering when the grape harvest will begin. The grapes are looking pretty ripe, but looks, of course, don't count. What counts is the amount of sugar in the grapes vs. acid, something the growers test with a tool called a refractometer. I've seen the growers out back testing the grapes this way over the years, but not yet this year. Other factors come into play as well, but I'm not an expert.

Ripening grapes getting close to harvest time.

I have seen some of the vineyard workers out there doing something. I guess that they're preparing the rows for the mechanical harvesters, cutting back overgrown vines and clearing away anything (like weeds or damaged grape bunches) that shouldn't be sucked into them. Before long we'll be hearing the hum of the harvesting machines, but not before a few of the parcels get harvested by hand.

5 comments:

  1. I'm crossing my fingers that the grapes will meet the requirements for amount of sugar. Everything that has been in the news I've read say the harvest will be lacking this year.

    Kudos to you for your positive french impressions at the Prefecture!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie, I agree. And it varies from parcel to parcel.

    mitch, as Dr. Spo would say, "like my men."

    mary, I'm sure they will. There seem to be fewer grapes in places, but the quality should be good given the weather we've been having. We'll find out next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear me! I thought all this stuff was done by some experts going out to taste the grapes and say 'now'. I also thought these things were picked by people?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!