Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sorta Sushi

Well, it's not really sushi, it's California Roll. There's no raw fish ; we used cooked shrimp. But still, it was my first attempt at making sushi and they were delicious.

On one of our trips to Paris we went shopping in the thirteenth for Asian food supplies. Among them : sushi rice, nori (seaweed sheets), wasabi, pickled ginger, and a sushi mat. I used this year's first garden cucumber, some avocado, and cooked shrimp to make the rolls.

I read that it takes practice to get the rolls right, and it's true. I know now to use a little less rice. We ate these up as a first course and followed it with a cold soba noodle salad with toasted sesame seeds and bean sprouts.

And, just for fun, here's one of the geraniums blooming in our kitchen window box :

4 comments:

  1. Please explain the difference between sushi and California roll for those of us who are Asian-food impaired!

    The geraniums looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a talented chef, Walt! The geranium looks well watered;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, from what I read on Wikipedia, I'm not sure if what Walt made was sushi rolls (makizushi) or California rolls. It seems like the two essential ingredients of the California roll are cucumber and avocado, and that's what we had. But the classic California roll is not made with raw fish (neither were ours) and it is made with the nori (seaweed sheet) rolled inside rather than on the outside of the rice. Anyway, look at Wikipedia for sushi and California roll and it will tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not crazy about sushi, that is if sushi is the kind with vinegar rice, or something of the kind. I think what I like is maki (not sure that's what it's called) or whatever it is that's plaine raw fish, like salmon or tuna, sliced on top of some sort of cabbage.
    But to tell you the truth, I prefer Chinese and/or Thai food.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!