Saturday, December 07, 2013

Birches and fish soup

We have quite a few birch trees around the neighborhood. In fact, the name of our property on the town's maps is les Bouleaux (the Birches). This row of birches is on our neighbor's land across the road. At one time, the line of trees marked a property line. Twenty or thirty years ago (I think) Bernard bought the land next door, so he's owned it all for a while.

The sun rises in the southeast over our neighbor's yard.

There's not much new and exciting to report. As long the weather is relatively mild and dry, I get outside and do little things here and there, but nothing major. We're planning our meals for the holiday season based on what's on sale, seasonal specialties, and what's in our freezer. For example, we have some fish stock in the freezer and there's a sale on certain types of fish at the supermarket this week. I'm going to make a provençale specialty: soupe de poissons à la Marseillaise (fish soup). It's not bouillabaisse, but a thick, smooth soup served with a sauce called rouille (rust) made from garlic, olive oil, and hot chili peppers, and with toasted baguette slices and grated cheese. Yummy.

7 comments:

  1. That's a nice row of birches with the sun filtering through. Also, I'd like to place a take-out order on the soupe de poissons (one of my favorites). Do you deliver to Amboise ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heavens, that does sound yummy, Walt. Oooh :) Photos?
    I really like the view in this photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost anything provençal and I'm 'in'! Bring on the photos of your fish soup and I'll be wishing for smellemail...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful setting. And the soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why can't I make great picture like that? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. stuart, for a small fee... ;)

    judy, I took some photos, but I haven't looked at them yet. Stay tuned.

    mary, I associate most provençal cooking with summer, but this is a good cold weather dish.

    mitch, it was!

    jon, oh, I'm sure you do. Better, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There should be a rule....if you're going to talk about food, you have to bring enough for everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!