Saturday, August 20, 2022

Bois de chauffage

Our firewood was delivered on Thursday. The delivery was free, but we have to stack the wood ourselves. So, yesterday I spent some time preparing the space on the north side of the house where we stack it. I noticed that our one-plus cord of wood didn't contain as many half-rounds as previous deliveries. I normally use the half-round logs to build "towers" on each end of a row to hold the other logs in place. Without the towers, the logs wouldn't stack neatly and I couldn't stack it as high as I need to.

Four stères (one cord) of firewood, dumped in the driveway.

What to do? Then I noticed all the cut birch trunks from when we had those trees removed last year (they were dead and dying). I saved the trunks thinking that I could split and burn them. Then I actually tried to split them. I couldn't. It occurred to me that I could stack those heavy trunks to make towers. So far it seems to be working.

The large gray logs on the bottom are what's left of our apple trees. The new wood looks orange. I have a long way to go.

I got a start on stacking, but after moving those heavy birch trunks, I didn't have a lot of energy left. I'll continue stacking over the next few (or more) days until the deed is done.

10 comments:

  1. It's always such a beautiful mosaic. The birch are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds like a lot of work! Don’t over do it and hurt your back.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should ask the artsy neighbor to do that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Petit à petit, l'oiseau fait son nid." :)
    Excellent solution, and looks cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! Why won't they stack them? too much time? costs extra?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary in Oregon20 August, 2022 23:23

    I see a warm home when I see all that wood! Nice stacking and quick thinking to use the birch trunks for the ends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just keep remembering about how wood warms you three times. Although the first two times usually aren't a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. mitch, and it looks even better when it's done. ;)

    evelyn, :)

    bettyann, I'm always conscious of that, for sure!

    chm, I'm not sure I could afford to commission an artist... lol

    judy, I keep saying that to myself. Along with, "the more you do, the less you have left to do."

    michael, I haven't asked, but I'm sure it would cost more. By the way, some of your comments end up in my spam folder for no apparent reason. I'm getting better at fishing them out, so if they don't show up right away, they will soon.

    mary, those trunks are heavy suckers. They're earning their keep now.

    emm, you might remember that I used to saw the logs myself. I think I stopped doing that around 2015. I'm happy not to have that chore to do any more.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!