Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Carnot monument

This monument by Raoul Verlet is dedicated to Sadi Carnot, fifth president of the Republic. He was assassinated in the city of Lyon in 1894 by an Italian anarchist. I'm not at all sure he had a connection to Angoulême, except that he was born in the nearby city of Limoges. I'm guessing that he was popular; Wikipedia points out that close to four hundred streets throughout France were named for him after his death.

Monument to Marie François Sadi Carnot, Angoulême.

I kept a fire going in the wood stove all day yesterday. It rained pretty steadily most of the day. Normal fall weather. We can't complain; we enjoyed a lovely Indian summer and we really need the rain.

5 comments:

  1. The statue is an interesting jumble. I'll have to read more about Carnot (and Verlet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracious, I’ve never heard of him, Carnot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't we funny, complaining or praising the weather when we have no say in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fire in the wood stove sounds delightful.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, it is rather "loud." ;)\

    judy, I hadn't, either.

    sillygirl, everybody talks about it, no one does anything about it. LOL!

    bettyann, it is, but it can be messy. And a lot of work. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!