Tuesday, October 03, 2023

Sucrine du Berry

A local favorite, the sucrine du Berry, which originated here in central France, resembles the more familiar butternut squash in both color and flavor. The flesh is orange in color and sweet in taste. I've grown them a time or two in years past and like them. This year, I planted what I thought were pumpkin seeds only to be surprised when the fruit appeared. Somehow I had mixed up the seeds and got sucrines instead. No matter.

Two of the half-dozen or so sucrines in this year's vegetable garden.

Sucrines are prepared like almost any other winter squash. I like to roast them, then puree the flesh. Excess roasted squash can go into the freezer without fear. We like the puree as a side dish, but we also enjoy using it in recipes, including as an alternative to pumpkin in pies, biscotti, and breads (cakes). We even use it in enchilada sauce.

8 comments:

  1. You'll have some interesting jack-o-lanterns this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why they have the same name as those tiny heads of romaine-style lettuce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, it will be fun to see what delights you make with the sucrines.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes...their shape will make for an unusual face! Perhaps a hobo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or, the reverse: perhaps a gentleman in a top hat and bowtie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No jack-o-lanterns! Eat them up instead! -- Chrissoup

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, haha! I would trust myself with a carving knife...

    kiwi, I think the common element is "sucre."

    judy, pumpkin pie, for sure, is high on the list!

    mary, they're much better to eat, IMHO. :)

    chris, agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mitch, sorry, that should be "I wouldn't trust..."

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!