Wednesday, October 04, 2023

Holey back yard, Batman

You read that right. Holey with an "e." As in holes. Our property is punctured with holes. They're everywhere. I'd say there are at least a hundred of them, probably more. They're not mole hills (we get those, too). These holes are used by some other rodent(s), as yet unidentified. I've never seen so many holes in the ground. And it's not just us; our neighbors have them, too. But we seem to have more per square meter. I worry about Tasha getting hurt by stepping into one of the holes while running around in the yard. So far, we've been lucky.

At least four holes in this picture, with my foot for scale.

I wonder if the proliferation of these holes, in our yard at least, has something to do with Bert the cat being gone. He caught (and ate) a lot of mice during his life. I'd guess about one a day, on average. He spent a lot of time hunting. Now that he's gone, there's no predator in our yard.

On the bright side, we don't have mice in the house. Bert used to bring them in after he caught them. He ate most of those, but we still had to clean up after him. Yuck.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. That could be dangerous for Tasha. They look like vole holes. Maybe you should rent a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get holes in my yard too. I thought it was raccoons because they are always looking for left over cat food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck is right.
    I'll second that they could be vole holes. So many, tnough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here the raccoons dig up looking for grubs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's time for a new cat in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, rent a cat! haha!

    joanna, we're lucky that we don't have raccoons here. They used to have a few at the zoo...

    judy, I think they're some version of rodent. Could be voles. We read somewhere that some version of rodent can take over old mole runs.

    melinda, moles do that here, only they tunnel rather than dig up.

    diane, one of our neighbors tried to give us a kitten a few weeks ago. I declined, several times. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!