Saturday, May 07, 2011

The calla lilies

When we moved to this house, there were many calla lilies around. They're called arums in French. We moved many of them around, but we obviously don't have a knack for them. They're not as nice as they could be.

One of our surviving calla lilies doing its thing.

I should tell you that I have a certain philosophy about gardening. I plant it. If it grows, great. If it doesn't, I figure it wasn't meant to be. I only really fuss about the garden vegetables. And probably not enough. I think it was Billy Joel who said, "I don't want to work that hard. Whoa-ooo-whoa-whoa-whoa." Yeah, that's it.

Some neighbors down at the bottom of the hill have gorgeous calla lilies every year full of blooms. I noticed this year that they actually dig up the bulbs in the fall and re-plant them in the spring. They over-winter in some protected place. And I'll bet those people fertilize them like crazy.

So, all this is to say that we get a few calla lilies and they're nice. We could have more if we really wanted to work that hard.

5 comments:

  1. OK. I get to be the first to say it: "“The calla lilies are in bloom again. Such a strange flower—suitable for every occasion. I carried them on my wedding day, and now I place them here in memory of something that has died.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have similar philosophies, Walt. I'm also a very big fan of volunteers (plants, that is). I figure if they grow voluntarily, they must be in just the right spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, Mitch, you beat me to it! Whenever calla lillies come up (heh, heh) I think of that line from Stage Door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a bunch of lillies on sale at our local market and couldn't figure out why they suddenly had so many. Then Robb reminded me...Easter was just a few days away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, the envelope, please!

    chris, totally.

    john, you gotta be quick around here.

    starman, well, there you go!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!