Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thursday morning among the vines

Today it was my turn for the morning walk with Callie. I got up just after six-thirty and the sun was already shining in through the windows. I took Bertie's breakfast downstairs, but he wasn't there. He didn't come home by bedtime last night, so he got to stay out (he's not locked out, so he may have come and gone all night). Yesterday he brought us a little bird. Nice.

A section of the vineyard this morning just after sunrise. Click to vinify (if only it were that easy!).

So Callie and I hit the road. Luckily I tried to take my first photo pretty close to the house and realized that there was no memory card in the camera. D'oh! So I went back and got it. While the sun was up in the east, the western sky was filled with clouds (even more now). The weather system that's not slated to give us any rain is moving through. It's mildly windy and cool out there. But I was ok in jeans and sweat-shirt.

After we got back, I spent about half an hour watering the vegetable garden. It's pretty much all in now and the corn is sprouting. There's still a lot of work to do (thinning, weeding, etc.), but the major planting is done.

Today we're meeting a woman who's been reading our blogs and is traveling in the area with her husband. We're having a light lunch here at the house. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to sit out on the deck, but that will depend on the wind and temperature. The menu: Ken's stuffed grape leaves (from our own vines), Greek-style chicken wings, goat cheese and oven-dried tomatoes on bread. And I made a batch of ice cream yesterday for dessert.

7 comments:

  1. Have a great lunch! And I love meeting new people. It should be fun.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sounds like a good day there. Say hi for me to your company.

    I'm hoping you get some rain soon for all of your sprouts to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Walt ( from both of us) for a nice lunch and afternoon. The ice cream was délicieux with the cherry sauce. Hope to have you one day in my city when you are in upstate NY :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of ice cream? I keep thinking about making my own because I eat so much, but I still haven't gotten around to getting a churn (or whatever they're called).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Can't wait to share a meal with you guys. It won't be long now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walt,

    That is such a beautiful picture. It must be so quiet...I mean no car horns, no fire engines (I live in a big city). I think my blood pressure goes down just looking at your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mark, one day it could be you!

    evelyn, me too!

    t.b., it was a great time and we enjoyed meeting you both!

    starman, it was plain vanilla ice cream, easy to make with the little machine that churns it for you. I served a cherry sauce (that a friend made with cherries from her tree) on top.

    ginny, looking forward to seeing you all again!

    anon, yes, quiet. Just birds and the occasional train in the distance. Oh, and tractors. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!