Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Rustic strawberry and rhubarb pie

I call this a rustic pie because it's very simple. Just fruit on a crust. No custard, no fancy filling. Easy-peasy, as they say. It would be even more rustic had I made the crust free-form, but I used a tart ring. I started out with my own pâte brisée (pie crust) and blind-baked it about halfway.

Tarte rustique aux fraises et à la rhubarbe.

I picked the rhubarb and cut it into small pieces, sprinkled it with sugar and set it aside for about an hour, then drained it. I cut up a container of fresh local strawberries. When the crust cooled a bit, I spread some ground almonds inside, then added the fruit. I sprinkled some more sugar on top of the fruit and then baked it until it looked done.

It was very tasty and full of tart fruit flavor. And not overly sweet.

11 comments:

  1. Hello:
    This looks and sounds positively delicious although with our total lack of culinary skills we suspect it may well be beyond us.

    We do like the idea of it not being too sweet. There is something rather good about puddings which are slightly tart [no pun intended].

    ReplyDelete
  2. A masterpiece! Looks excellent. I've always loved the combination of strawberry's and rhubarb but it seems to be more popular in america than anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    This looks delicious, i love the combination of strawberry's and rhubarb.

    Greetings from Belgium
    Jérôme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it a tart or a pie???

    Looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect the almonds added to the taste. The tart is beautiful!

    Part of my post yesterday was lost. Our Cherokee wild rose is so named because the Indians saw it on the Trail of Tears. It gave them courage and hope. I didn't know that until I saw it on WIKI. A sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someday I'm going to show up at your door wanting to spend a day cooking with you. And by "day" I really mean week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks really yummy! I like the combination of rhubarb and strawberries nicely balances tart and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And left over, it would make an excellent breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With all the cooking you guys do, how do you find time to do other stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you weren't already married... (only kidding, Ken) But, well...

    ReplyDelete
  11. jane and lance, that's what I like about most French desserts. They're not cloyingly sweet.

    craig, I think you're right.

    jérôme, merci!

    anne, I suppose technically it's a tart! :)

    evelyn, I think so, and they soaked up the excess juice. Thanks for the additional info!

    cubby, we're usually here.

    n&a, I agree.

    chris, good idea!

    starman, we squeeze it in. ;)

    mitch, Ha! I saw your comment on Ken's blog... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!