Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Keep off the grass

I have a few photos of the Château de Montpoupon that I took on a recent visit with friends. I'm going to post them here over the next few days. This is the château that you see up in the current banner photo. I took that one last year.

Tasteful little signs tell visitors where to go and where not to go.

The castle tour has been re-worked to be self-guiding. Which explains the plethora of little signs that have popped up around the property. It's a much better way to see the castle and its grounds because you can wander from place to place as you please, skip parts that don't interest you, or return to parts you liked for a second look.

11 comments:

  1. Hate guided tours; much, much prefer to wander on my own!

    What is it with the weather? So cruel: yesterday sun and then back to grey this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hate guided tours, I like to do my own thing. Stay as long as I want in one place and miss the bits I do not like! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, I love the self-guided tours :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to love the ambiguity of "pelouse interdite."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guided or un-guided, what a spectacular view...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. What elegant signage. I much prefer wandering on my own (and not aimlessly).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Self-guided is the way-to-go for me, too!
    I am either up in front or way in the back when I have to be herded in a tour - somehow the Guide and I are never on the same wavelength...

    This is especially true when viewing a french chateau like Montpoupon (never seen, yet!) - I would truely enjoy just sitting and imagining my living there during the 1500's and that would take some time.

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you know the details of what you're seeing -- is there a printed guide or one of those recorded voice machines? Or are there museum-style placards on the walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will, there's a little brochure, and every room has a recorded voice that talks about what you're looking at. It's not annoying, but it's also in French.

      Delete
    2. will, oh, and yes, there are placards in each room with written explanations in French and English. :)

      Delete
  9. Maybe the sun will appear later....like in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!