Monday, July 09, 2012

Old wooden doors

On our way from the car to meet our friends for lunch in Montrichard, I passed these doors. They're both garage doors on buildings in town. Obviously they're not new, nor are they in particularly good repair.

This door slides on rails affixed to the exterior of the building.

But, I'll bet they work just fine. And they really look nice all worn and weathered. Now this reminds me of my own garage door. It's not in great shape either. The door has four panels that I must open and fold back manually. If the car is in the garage (mostly in winter), the chore of opening the doors to get it out really makes me think twice about going anywhere.

This door swings open. Both doors have "no parking" signs on them.

And once the car is out, I have to go back and close the doors behind me. Then, naturally, I have to repeat the process in reverse when I get home. I really have to want, or need, to go out in the winter.

9 comments:

  1. Walt, the second picture seems to indicate that the original no parking sign wasn't effective enough. The 'new' one is much bigger! The rain-pipe chased into the wall for protection is wonderful, too. Were these streets narrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those weathered doors. Much more charming than the modern, automatic ones. But the idea of getting in and out of the car does discourage activity (especially when the weather is bad). We had 75-year-old garage in San Diego with equally old, weathered doors. We never put the car inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that exercise will keep you nice and slim!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often wondered why they don't take better care of their doors, but they do make interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures. That first door looks as if it could be on a New England barn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, old and worn-out wooden garage doors can look good even though they are not properly maintained, just like those on the two pictures. Actually, it is better to leave it as it is, just to make people remember how it was built and they can make it a part of their town's history. But! This doesn’t apply to ALL garage doors. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These garage doors remind me of the doors of the castles back then. LOL :P But seriously, old wooden garage doors are fine to use. Though their styles are obsolete, most old doors can still withstand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The doors have that old, romantic Renaissance era look! And, for me, it is just perfect for the place. I mean when you observe it, you can really feel going back in time. It’s wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!