Monday, September 21, 2015

Quasimodo's view

I don't remember exactly, whether it was 1988 or 1989, when Ken and I climbed up to the top of the bell tower at Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. I had been up there once before, in 1981, but haven't been since. Because the cathedral is smack in the middle of the city, the views of Paris from the top are amazing, and I took many photos that day. But this is one that I particularly like, looking down into the rue du Cloître Notre Dame.

Flying buttresses supporting the north wall of the cathedral, between the bell tower and the transept.

I think I could safely say that this is one of the most photographed cathedrals in the world, although I can't find anything on the internet to verify that. Paris is the fourth most photographed city, according to one source, and the Church of the Good Shepherd in New Zealand is supposedly the most photographed church (not cathedral) in the world. I can't fathom how such things are calculated.

5 comments:

  1. Wanting to know what extraordinary characteristics that church in New Zealand exhibited making it the most photographed, I Googled the Church of the Good Shepherd, and Wikipedia tells me this: The church is arguably one of the most photographed in New Zealand... It says nothing about the rest of the world! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TripAdvisor says it's probably the most photographed.

      TripAdvisor also says it is St. Basil Cathedral in Moscow.

      Then, San Francisco de Assisi Mission Church in New Mexico...

      And so on, and so on...

      Querelle de clocher!

      Delete

Tell me what you think!