Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Twenty years ago

Ken has been posting photos on his blog from his brief stay in Paris a few weeks ago. While working on his pictures, we researched something or other and I looked back at some of my old pictures of Paris to see if I could find what he was looking for. The photos are slides that I took more than twenty years ago (!) that I had scanned and used for some of my earliest blog posts (coming up on ten years ago, now). I wondered if I could make them look better with my new photo software, Lightroom, and gave it a try.

This was originally a color slide that I decided might look good in black and white.

I'm pretty happy with how some of them are turning out. Lightroom has a lot of tools that help to improve imperfections in these old images and it's much more powerful than the earlier version of Photoshop that I used when I first digitized the slides. So... naturally I'd thought I'd share some of the results.

This is the rue de Bièvre in the Latin Quarter (5eme arrondissement) on the Left Bank. The little street runs from the Place Maubert down to the river at the Quai de Montebello. The view is looking south toward the Place Maubert. The dome in the background is the Pantheon, long before its recent face lift.

10 comments:

  1. Made me think of Cartier-Bresson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Now that I've got it, maybe I should start learning about Lightroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo! I just drank the LR cool aid, too. Now, to figure out how to use the powerful tool....

    ReplyDelete
  4. chm took the words out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. chm, we have one of his prints in the living room, remember it?

    judy, merci.

    mitch, I'm liking it so far.

    christine, if you've used photoshop, it should not be difficult. They're made by the same people.

    bettyann, :)

    gosia, very narrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo; just perfect for black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnificent, love the black and white. And a huge congratulations on nearly 10 years of blogging. A brilliant blog too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!