Friday, January 29, 2021

Now for a little color

I suppose the black-and-white treatment isn't appropriate for stained glass. This colorful window sits high over the nave of the abbey church at Fontevraud. It's not the best angle. I don't know why I snapped it from this spot and didn't think to reposition myself to better frame the shot.

I don't know if this window is original, restored, or a reproduction. Fontevraud abbey, September 2003.

A little history: I started taking pictures when I was around fifteen years old. I still have a few of those first awkward snapshots in an album somewhere, taken with a Kodak 110 Instamatic camera. Six years later, when I went to Paris for the first time, I had a newer Kodak 110 for snapping my "Kodak moments." Those photos bring back nice memories, but they leave a lot to be desired in terms of photo quality.

Still later, while in college, I got my first 35mm SLR. It was a Pentax, I don't remember which model, but I do remember the lens that came with it was defective and leaked light. The result was a lot of disappointing over-exposed photos. Once I figured out it was the lens that was broken and not me, I traded it in for one that worked. Then I took a couple of photography classes at school, really got into taking color slides, and amassed a sizeable collection over the years. Unfortunately, my slide projector is long gone, so looking at the slides is not easy. I scanned a lot of them since starting this blog and posted many of those images here. After the Pentax, I moved to Canon EOS Rebel SLRs.

I started using a digital camera in 2003 when I took these photos at Fontevraud. I borrowed Ken's Canon PowerShot Pro 90 to see if I liked digital photography. I did, and slides instantly became history. I continued using Ken's pocket cameras for a while (he had several) until I bought my first digital camera in 2006, a Panasonic Lumix bridge camera. Six years later, I got my first DSLR, a Canon T3i. In 2016 I upgraded to a Canon 6D.

8 comments:

  1. Even back then world wide advertising. We too could catch Kodak Moment. I bought my first digital in 2004 and I thought the photos it could take just marvellous, they sure don't hold up well now. Advice from a friend, make sure you buy a 2 megapixel camera. No need for any higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing colors. Fun reading you camera history, I was writing mine recently for a special project. I started with 126 format instamatics (110 hadn't come out yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, had a Kodak 110 Instamatic, which replaced a hand-me-down Brownie. I remember thinking it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Those are some of my poorest quality photos. When I was around 20, I borrowed my father's WWII-era Kodak Retina. What an improvement. I have never gotten to your level of photographic skill. Part of it is laziness, but I also like having a camera that fits in my bag or a pocket. So, now I upgrade every couple of years through the Canon Powershot series. I'm up to SX730 HS, 40X zoom. My first digital was a super-high-end Canon in 2000 (can't remember which) that was amazing, but a lot more work than the Powershots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Digital cameras were a big change. My camera history begins with a square Brownie Hawkeye that I dearly loved. I wanted the flash attachment but never had enough $$ to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the angle of this photo. It looks real rather than posed (if stained glass windows can pose).

    ReplyDelete
  6. andrew, I don't know... I take photos in RAW, as you know, and I think that requires more megapixels. My camera has over 20.

    travel, wow!

    judy, :)

    mitch, I know the big Canon is bulky, not to mention the lenses. Ken likes the pocket cameras for exactly the reason you mention. And they take great photos. I'm trying to get better at manual photography. I do use auto focus, auto ISO (most of the time), and automatic white balance, but I set my own f-stop and shutter speeds.

    evelyn, I never experienced the Brownie. :(

    bettyann, I'm sure they can, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am quite fond of stained glass. This one looks nice to me.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!