Monday, August 09, 2021

Grille

I think this would be called un grillage in French, but I'm not certain. The ground floor windows in our house have wrought iron grilles on them for security, but nothing as fancy as this.

Window grille, Mennetou-sur-Cher, May 2006.

Dare we believe? The weather people are predicting downright hot temperatures building in this week. No rain in sight. There are a lot of chores waiting for us out in the yard, not the least of which are cutting the grass and weeding more of the vegetable garden. Unless Lucy pulls that football away at the last minute.

8 comments:

  1. We have a grille on our hall windows. I wish it looked like that! Great image of Lucy and the weather forecast. Rats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, when it is wrought iron itis a grille. A grillage would be made with wire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chm, thanks for your Frog Circuit answer, I’m sure you’re right. I hope you are keeping up your spirits.

      Delete
    2. Thank you BettyAnn for your kind words. Under these conditions it is hard to keep my spirits up!

      Delete
  4. Great grille! I hope Lucy plays nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I'm still going to try to kick it.

    chm, here's what I read in le Petit Robert: 1. grillage [gYijaF] n. m.

    • 1328; de grille 

    1¨ Treillis, le plus souvent métallique, qu'on met aux fenêtres, aux portes à jour, etc. Les mailles d'un grillage. Grillage en bois des fenêtres arabes. Þ moucharabieh.
    à Clôture en treillis de fils de fer. Þ claire-voie. Jardins enclos d'un grillage. Grillage galvanisé, électrifié.

    I know most people use "grillage" to mean wire fencing, like what's around our yard.

    bettyann, me too!

    judy, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!