Sunday, August 29, 2021

Regaining control

I took the first step in getting this year's vegetable garden back under control on Saturday. The tomatoes are a lost cause and the beans are done. We still may get a few zukes, and we're trying to keep the kale and chard going for a fall crop. We intentionally planted them along the edge of the plot with this in mind.

The sorry state of the 2021 vegetable garden.

So, what I did was take out the soaker hose. And yes, I realize that probably means we'll have sunny and dry weather until winter. I'll have to water the remaining plants by hand. The hose was buried under a thick mat of weeds and was a bear to get out. It took about 45 minutes to free it all from under the plants and weeds, but it's done. I also took out the tripods I use to support the tomato plants. The toms didn't get much support this year. I gave up on pinching suckers and tying up the vines when the weeds invaded with a vengeance.

Next it will be time to pull up the beans and tomatoes and some other plants that did nothing, pile them in the middle of the plot, and cover them with a tarp until I can dispose of them. Once I'm sure that the coast is clear, I'll run the lawnmower over the remaining weeds and Ken will till up the roots. Then we'll put the plot to bed until spring.

7 comments:

  1. What a rough summer for your vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walt,
    Because of the heat and humidity this year, gardening was a lost cause for many. Yesterday morning I checked a neighbor's yard who gets the fungus treatment and her lawn is perfect. Coincidentally she uses the same lawn service company I use, one which I recommended to her several years ago when she lost her provider. Next year I will give the anti fungal treatment a try. It's expensive but if I can get my lawn to looks like hers, it will be worth it.
    Good to hear from you Walt. I don't blog as often as I used to but I will always blog as long as I'm alive. My therapy and to stay in contact with my friends in the blog universe.
    Have a great day!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all of these years that I've been following your blog, I don't remember the summer garden ever being such a disappointment for you. Even the year of the tomato blight! What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bleagh! Put that garden to bed early for bad behavior!
    What a disappointment; hope winter and next summer are better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears, tears and more tears. Blame it on the soaker hose installation! Something needs to be responsible, as good as you two are with preparation and maintenance the results had nothing to do with you. I'm just hoping you will be able to find good tasting vegies at the marché or supermarché.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is disappointing when a garden does not do well.
    There is always next time/year, let us hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, we've had a bad year or two in the past, but this has been the worst.

    ron, good luck with the lawn! I don't comment as often as some, but I continue reading!

    judy, 2007 was a wet year and production was low. This year is worse.

    chris, ha! Looking forward to next spring. Fresh start.

    mary, that darned soaker hose!

    michael, yes!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!