Thursday, August 12, 2021

It's just one of those years

I picked these tomatoes yesterday. They're small, and there aren't very many. I threw a bunch of rotting toms away. Even the zucchinis have slowed way down. This year's vegetable garden has really suffered from the cold and wet conditions that we've had all season. Except for now. We're in a heat spell. If it continues to be warm and dry, maybe we'll get some more.

A meager harvest from 18 tomato plants.

I still haven't finished cutting the grass. In the morning, the heavy dew discourages me. It doesn't dry out until after lunch. But, as you may know, lunch is our main meal of the day after which I'm not motivated to go out in what is (now) the hottest part of the day to mow. I'm thinking that, if the heat lasts a while, the nights will get warmer and the morning dew won't be as heavy and I'll be able to cut grass before lunch.

7 comments:

  1. Your tomato crop may be small but they look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tomatoes look delicious. Summer tomatoes are my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this viz. the yearly variation of produce/quality depending on the weather. It is sort of humbling to know we are always at the mercy and dependent on the weather.
    I agree with Seine they look good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well what you have looks and we can surely guess are delicious-tasting tomatoes. Summer has a ways to go! I'll keep my fingers crossed you will have a tremendous harvest by the end of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. judy, we'll how long it takes for me to start complaining about it...

    bettyann, I turned them into sauce.

    michael, these aren't the best we've grown, but they photograph well.

    michael, I had high hopes this year as I made a few changes to the garden. All for naught. I'll try again next year.

    mary, I'm sure the sauce I made will be good. We had a good oregano crop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did everything you could, it seems, for the garden this year. Hope you get some heat to have a better finish.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!