Thursday, August 05, 2021

That darned cat

Bert woke me up last night just after eleven. Meow, meow! I thought he wanted kibble, so I got up and went downstairs to put his bowl down. He went further downstairs to the ground floor. I went back upstairs to bed. A few minutes later, he was back in the loft. Meow, meow! He was insistent. I realized he wanted, or needed, to go outside.

Nothing to do with this post. Public benches, Mennetou-sur-Cher, May 2006.

Out of bed again, down two flights, and I opened his window. He went out like a shot. I climbed back upstairs, back to bed and, thankfully, to sleep. Around two-thirty this morning he came back in making his "I have a mouse" meow. It woke us both up (and Tasha, too). I stumbled down the stairs and, sure enough, a little mouse lay on its back on the landing rug, tiny feet pointing skyward. Bert stood next to it, waiting for praise. I got a paper towel and took the mouse down to the utility room for Bert to eat. I closed his window so he couldn't go out again. Back to bed, where I tossed and turned for a couple of hours before falling back to sleep. When I woke up at six-twenty, Bert was curled up beside me fast asleep.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely story! Life with animaux de compagnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cat has a human slave. It is not unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good day to cat nap all day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bert must have needed a midnight mousie snack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can always tell that different meow with mouth full of a special gift

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I almost spit out my tea laughing! Sorry your sleep was interrupted but the night time saga of you and Bert was very funny to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your patience is admirable. Or maybe it's Bert who is patient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another point in the column for inside-only cats! Although with my insomnia it is not funny to have your sleep so disturbed by a loving pet who is just trying to please his owner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of the old Kleban cartoons. "Love to eat them mousies, mousies that I love to eat . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are always on the wrong side of every door.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!