Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rue du Pas de la Mule

That's a funny name for a street. Mule's Step Street. I think that's what it means. The street runs between the Place des Vosges on the west and the Boulevard Beaumarchais on the east. On our way from the Bastille back to the Marais for dinner, I wanted to show Mark and Julie the Place des Vosges and we took this street in.

I like this photo better without the color. I don't know who this guy is, either.

La rue du Pas de la Mule begins on the northeast corner of the Place des Vosges. It's the extension of the rue des Francs Bourgeois, which crosses the Marais district and is home to countless shops and art galleries and not a few cafés and eateries. The Café Hugo (in the photo above) is one of several cafés built under the arcades of the place.

11 comments:

  1. This BLOKE seems very interested in something. Who was the famous lead singer who have lived at Place des Vosges and where is he buried?
    What a fascinating history Place des Vosges has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought I would say hey quick. I spent some time in the Loir Valley myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo! Remove the vehicles and this could be a scene from 40 years ago.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot--in B&W it has a Cartier Bresson feel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it means a mounting block or something like that. Though I imagine a fair few mules must have had to put on a bit of effort to get their loads up that slope. I was sorry to see on my last visit that the antique musical instrument shop that used to be next to the chocolate shop has closed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I walked along that street a couple of days ago on my way from the Bastille to Saint Eustache. A long walk, I might add!

    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Typo, sorry. St Eustache.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This street is so typically Parisian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. leon, I don't know, but I do know that DSK and his wife live there now.

    tamayn, welcome! Thanks for saying hello!

    judy, doesn't it just ooze Paris-ness? ;)

    mark, I'm not that skilled with photoshop...

    n&a, flattery will get you everywhere. :)

    autolycus, yes, Ken did some research and found that definition, but we think it has more to do with a broad stepped slope so that mules could pull carts without them rolling out of control. Just a guess. And I remember that shop, but didn't notice that it had closed.

    bettyann, cool! What typo?

    starman, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah....was interpreting pas as "Not" but it is the other usage, "step". Currently staying on rue des Francs-Bourgeois, and walk rue de pas de la mule almost every day.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!