Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Water under the bridge

I'm continuing with my little "flashback" series for now. At least until I feel like getting the camera out. If it isn't raining or windy, it's darned cold. Normally, the cold doesn't bother me for photography; depends on the day. This is the Loire river passing under the Général Leclerc bridge at Amboise.

La Loire at Amboise, March 2006.

Ken got to his train on time and made it to Paris, where he spent the night before today's flight to the states. It's much less stressful to get up there the night before than to have to scramble for an early morning train to the airport. Normally things work out fine, but you never know if there will be a problem that delays the train, and you don't want to take a chance on missing your flight. That nearly happened to me in 2005. I was taking the train from Tours to Lille and then through the Channel Tunnel to London for a flight out of Heathrow, and there was catenary problem down near Bordeaux that delayed all the trains on that route that day. I was re-routed through Paris (my original plan avoided Paris) and had to schlep my luggage across town on the subway before getting on the Eurostar train at the Gare du Nord. Fortunately, I was spending the night in London before flying the next day, so I didn't have the added stress of worrying about missing my plane. Lesson learned.

5 comments:

  1. Hope Ken's trip goes smoothly and pleasantly. We like to do the same on long trips. Staying overnight when the airport isn't right nearby is so much less stressful and makes the trip feel that much shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed my flight (Heathrow to St. Louis) coming home at the end of the Paris year. Took the overnight bus, and Channel ferry, from Paris to Heathrow, and we were delayed for a long time at arrival on British soil. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to stand at the end of this bridge to take photos of the Amboise castle- it's one of my favorites. It's live and learn with travel, we are wiser and older now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely better to stay in Paris

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, thanks. He's made it safely.

    judy, that sounds like a real drag...

    evelyn, it makes for great photos!

    gosia, yup!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!