Friday, May 06, 2022

Almost there

The weather forecast looks good for not having a freeze in the coming week. A week from now is when frost danger normally ends and I'm sure the grape growers are looking forward to that. The vines are leafing out now and a freeze could do serious damage.

Fresh young leaves in the vineyards out back at sunrise Thursday morning.

We're expecting highs around 20ºC (68ºF) over the weekend and perhaps warmer as next week arrives. We will be getting busy in the yard and garden to prepare for planting the seedlings out. My goal for today is to clear out the meter-wide strip outside our north fence, pruning back invading brambles and mowing down growing weeds to prevent them from climbing the fence. This needs to be done several times a year to keep the woods to our north at bay.

5 comments:

  1. Weather ups and downs here -- normal 50s and 60s, rain, and then suddenly we're about to pop up to 90°F in a day or two. Nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed your image of the week - I'm never tired of THE tower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We’ve returned to summer today. I need to get out on the terrace and trim, and transplant, and add soil. I’ve been saying that for months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you for your constant upkeep and manicure of your vast property. Ours is a drop in the bucket compared to yours and I still struggle to maintain it properly. But the desire for it to look good trumps my desire to not do yard work..hahaha. It finally stopped raining, so we should be able to get out this weekend for our annual planting, trimming, and pruning. (We have a lawn guy, so we don't have to do that part any more - yay.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. judy, a wild ride!

    sillygirl, good!

    mitch, inertia is the most powerful force.

    sean, well, I wouldn't say "vast." It's about half an acre. It always looks better when it looks like someone is taking care of it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!