Friday, May 20, 2022

Another old favorite

This is one of my favorite photos from our trip to southwestern France in 1989. A well-dressed woman standing outside her car talking to the woman who's pumping her gas on a street in Toulouse. I don't know what they were looking at that caught their attention. The gas pump is on the sidewalk, probably outside a mechanic's garage or a convenience shop. That is, or was, common in urban areas where space is limited. From what I can tell (the logo on the hubcaps), the car is an Opel Corsa.

Faites le plein ! (Fill 'er up!). Digitized color slide, Toulouse 1989.

We awoke to lightning and thunder this morning as a storm moved through. We got some rain, but not a whole lot. According to the weather radar, the bulk of the storm was to our west and we just caught the eastern edge of it.

6 comments:

  1. A shame about the rain missing you again. I can understand why this would be an old favorite. I love your slice-of-life photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting photo. I can't remember when self pumping gas stations happened, but I don't think many women were gas station attendants in the USA. I could be wrong about that. The woman's white smock looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oregon has the silly law that only gas station attendants are allowed to fill tanks! Crazy and we know it adds to the price which is too high right now!

      Delete
  3. Great shot.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing what views attract the eye of the photographer! I was thinking they were commenting on the curb and gutter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, we got a little rain, but not nearly enough. The nice weather is nice, however.

    evelyn, I remember the days of "fill 'er up and check the oil." Old fashioned gas station still exist in France, but they're few and far between. These days it's mostly self-serve outside the supermarkets.

    bettyan, thanks!

    mary, hmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!