Monday, May 02, 2022

An old favorite

I've posted this photo before, but I've re-worked it a little for today's post. It's a section of the eastern façade of the Louvre palace, constructed in the seventeenth century under King Louis XIV, and the Pavillon de l'horloge, built around the same time. Beyond the Louvre, you can see the obélisque in the Place de la Concorde. Further beyond stretches the Avenue des Champs-Elysées at the top of which is the nineteenth century Arc de Triomphe commissioned by Napoléon Bonaparte. In the background is the La Défense high-rise business district with its very modern Grande Arche, still under construction in this photo.

The Louvre's grand colonnade. Digitized color slide, Paris 1988.

I think I took this photo in 1988 from up on the roof of the Samaritaine department store. There was an outdoor café on the roof, one of the best places for views of the city. Back in 1981-82, it was a real café with waiters. In nice weather, we could (and did) spend hours up there sipping wine and enjoying the views. By the time I took this photo, the café had been transformed to a self-serve kind of place. Same great views, not so much ambiance. Later, the café was closed altogether.

7 comments:

  1. Stunning photo and perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing shot and sense of the city. I wonder how many of those grand old department store restaurants are still in existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never went to the Samaritaine café-- I guess I hung around with the wrong folks that year! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited that cafe in the 90's and it was indeed a self-service affair. I so enjoyed going up to the cupola and wanted to show it to my husband when we went to Paris in 2003 - the building was closed by then. A funky little place that was Paris to me - glad I got to be there the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing photo!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. chm, we were lucky that the café was still open.

    mitch, I think there's a new restaurant in the restored building, but I get the impression that it's more upscale.

    judy, that's too bad. I don't remember how we found out about it or from whom. Maybe Ken?

    sillygirl, those kinds of memories are the best. Too bad they have to be just memories and not new experiences.

    michael, n'est-ce pas ?

    bettyann, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!