Sunday, May 01, 2022

Wine delivery

This is one of those "right place at the right time" photos. The wine delivery guy is offloading a case for a customer. Visitors to France may be familiar with the Nicolas brand, which was established in 1822. According to Wikipedia, there are more than 500 Nicolas boutiques in the world today, most of them in France and most of those in the Paris region. When I lived in Paris in 1981-82, the small Nicolas shops sold basic and inexpensive wines. Since the 90s, the shops have gone upscale and now they sell a lot of pricey vintages. I haven't been to a Nicolas boutique in a long time.

The vehicle is called "un triporteur." Digitized color slide, early 90s.

And who's that guy walking down the other side of the street? To me, he looks like Gérard Depardieu. It's likely not him, but there's a resemblance. I only noticed him after I had the film developed.

6 comments:

  1. Magical photo. Nice of the delivery man to wait for your arrival. 1981, that’s before I knew what a bastard Depardieu actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is another boy behind “Depardieu”. Being a (French) actor doesn’t mean you’re a nice person. I wonder if he lives in the Kremlin now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot! I have spent some money at Nicolas over the years.
    Blogspot insists I’m anonymous. Hmmm….
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great image on so many levels,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! There is a resemblance... that big chin of his. Before you mentioned him, I was just wondering where the little blonde kid is, now, and how old :)
    Thanks for the new word, triporteur

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great country to value wine so!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!