Thursday, May 26, 2022

Le Vieux Pont de Bergerac

In my extensive quick and dirty research about this bridge, I saw that it's also called le pont St.-Jean. I don't know what the Bergeracois call it. Probably just le vieux pont. Opened in 1825, it's the older of the two bridges that cross the Dordogne River in central Bergerac. The newer bridge is visible in the photo's background. From the pictures I see on the web, the sleek modern street lamps on the bridge in this photo were replaced with retro nineteenth century lamps at some point. A more appropriate look, I suppose.

The Old Bridge at Bergerac, taken from the right bank of the Dordogne. Digitized color slide, 1989.

This morning when I got out of bed, I glanced out the north window as I usually do and noticed un chevreuil (a roe deer) standing in the north forty munching on the little weeds that grow in the lawn. Our fence is supposed to keep the deer out, but there's a breach in one spot and the deer found it. I closed it off once last year, but they obviously pushed through. It's not the first time. I'll be out there today trying again with a stronger patch. I went outside, opened the back gate, and Bert and I shooed the deer out into the vineyard.

6 comments:

  1. Too bad the deer can’t be taught to only eat the weeds. I just looked at a recent photo of the bridge. I like the retro lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that deer doesn't get into your veggies! Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gracious!
    Any news on the terrace work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful lighting in your photo. I like how the new bridge is peeking through the arches of the old bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J’aime beaucoup cette photo. C’est un camaïeu qui donne une impression de tranquilité. Est-ce à cause de l’eau calme de la Dordogne?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, I need to find a deer whisperer...

    evelyn, the veggies are still in the greenhouse, so there was no damage, thankfully!

    judy, nothing. zip. zero. arrrrrgh.

    wilma, thanks!

    chm, perhaps. I've seen photos where the river is even smoother giving the impression that it's a mirror reflecting the arches of the bridge so that they look like perfect circles.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!